This is my January 2006 presentation for on the above subject as part of a panel “Legal Challenges to the Startup Company” for Boston Entrepreneurs Network (ENET) in Waltham, MA. My presentation covered various issues including
- Offensive and defensive uses of trademarks and service marks,
- Benefits of federal registration of trademarks
- “ITU” filings when you have a product idea
- Hurdles and pitfalls of “prosecution” of trademarks,
- Definition, scope and uses of copyrights,
- Benefits of Federal registration of copyrights,
- Special copyright deposit requirements, fair use and other defenses and enforcement issues,
- Role of trademarks and copyrights in an intellectual property portfolio.
For the power-point slides to this presentation, LINK: http://www.boston-enet.org/archives.html
(Then, page down to “January 3, 2006 – Protecting Your Intellectual Property” and click on “Trademarks, Service Marks and Copyrights”.)
If you have any difficulty with this link, let me know and I can e-mail you the slides.
If you are an entrepreneur or consultant, an inventor, marketer or author and you want to protect the good will of a product or service or safeguard your rights in a work or your creation and you have questions or need assistance, please let me know.