Seed and Angel Financing: ENET meeting, October 1, 2013
Tomorrow evening, Tuesday October 1, 2013 at 7pm, the IEEE Entrepreneurs’ Network (ENET) will present a panel on this subject for at the group’s new Waltham location: Constant Contact, 1601 Trepalo Rd., 3rd Floor, The Great Room, Waltham, Massachusetts (Exit 28, I-95/Route 128). Where do early stage startups go to find help with funding? Who do they ask? What do they need to show or talk about in order to attract potential investors? Boston ENET’s October meeting will focus on a panel presentation and discussion on the current state and intricacies of angel and early stage funding for area entrepreneurs. Our panel features Ben Littauer of Boston Harbor Angels, Gaurav Jain of Founders Collective, Hugo Van Vuuren of XFund, and Sheryl R. Schultz all of whom have deep experience with entrepreneurship and the startup ecosystem. Tina Weber, of GearSay and Lean Startup Challenge, will moderate.
For more information on, or to register for, this October 1, 2013 event, go to http://boston-enet.org/meetings/seed-and-angel-financing-0-0
I helped Tina recruit this fine panel and believe it will be a great night for ENET. Last year in October 2012, I moderated a panel on this subject with James Geshwiler, Managing Director, Common Angels, Lucinda Linde, member of Walnut Venture Associates, and David Martirano, Cofounder / General Partner, Point Judith Capital. If you would like to see slides from our speakers that night last year, LINK: http://boston-enet.org/meetings/seed-and-angel-financing-0
Hopefully, this year’s panel on seed and angel investing will also be quite helpful to entrepreneurs in small and early stage companies I represent. Hope to see you at our new ENET meeting place, Constant Contact in Waltham, tomorrow night!
* * *
I remain active in ENET, a mainly Waltham-based group that aids entrepreneurs, small and early stage companies, and people who invest or work in those companies. I have been on the ENET Board for the last eleven years, and the past four years and continue as ENET’s Chairman. In May 2013, I was elected by ENET members to my 3rd two-year term as Chairman.
I was the moderator for ENET’s last meeting, on September 3, 2013, which was the kickoff meeting for ENET’s 23nd year, “Ready, Set, Launch. Knowing when you’re ready & How to start a company”. 70 attended our kickoff meeting in the new location at Constant Contact in Waltham and we had four excellent speakers:
- Vicki Donlan, Women’s Business and Health Coach, http://www.vickidonlan.com
- Joe Baz, CEO & founder of Above the Fold, www.abovethefolddesign.com
- Bill Seibel, CEO and Founder of Mobiquity, www.mobiquityinc.com
- Greg Skloot, CEO & Co-Founder of Attendware, www.attendware.com ,
For more information and speaker slides from the September 3, 2013 meeting, LINK: http://boston-enet.org/meetings/ready-set-launch-knowing-when-you%E2%80%99re-ready-how-start-company-0
I also arranged the meeting before that, our annual Sunset Networking Cruise of Boston Harbor on July 16, 2013. This cruise, our “EntrepreneurShip 2010” was also be joined by our partners MDG – Medical Development Group, TiE Boston (The Indus Entrpreneurs) and the EntreTech Forum. This was the 11th ENET summer networking cruise that I’ve arranged. 188 attended on a lovely evening with good food and company and great views of the sights of Boston Harbor including the U.S.S. Constitution at the 201st anniversary of its naval victories in the War of 1812 when it got its nickname “Old Ironsides”. It was a most enjoyable and casual ending to ENET’s 22nd year, September 2011 to July 2012, just concluded.
Additionally, in prior years, I’ve moderated and/or spoken at a number of ENET panel presentations, including presentations on the following subjects:
- “Online Finance and Crowd Funding” , April 17, 2013 (moderator),
- “Bootstrapping 101: Alternative Ways to fund a Startup without an Angel or VC”, November 13, 2012 (moderator)
- “Seed and Angel Financing” , October 2, 2012 (moderator),
- “Getting Stuff for Free”, April 17, 2012 (moderator),
- “Transforming Your Idea into a Successful Company”, September 6, 2011 (speaker and moderator),
- “Get Going! Launching a Successful Business”, September 7, 2010 (moderator),
- “Licensing Technology”, February 2, 2010 (moderator),
- “Getting Initial Money to go from Nothing to Something”, October 2, 2007 (speaker and moderator)
- “How to Select and Retain Management for your Startup Company”, February 8, 2008 (speaker and moderator)
- “Strategic Alliances and Partnerships: to build, finance, and develop early stage companies”, November 7, 2006 (speaker and moderator)
- “Building Boards of Advisors and Boards of Directors”, March 7, 2006 (moderator)
- “Protecting Your Intellectual Property”, January 3. 2006 (speaker)
For each of the above presentations, my slides and those of the other speakers on my panel are also available at the ENET web site at this link – http://www.boston-enet.org/meetings/meeting-archives . I hope this information is helpful to you in your business. Again, if you would like more information on our group, go to www.boston-enet.org