This was a presentation I gave in June 2008 for TiE Leadership Workshop in Waltham, Massachusetts. For much of the presentation, I discussed how, in order to gain investment, a company must first put its house in order including legal due diligence in the following areas:
- Business entity, capital and debt structure,
- Management team, employee relations and incentives,
- Commercial contracts, including any licensing agreements
- Patents, trademarks and other intellectual property issues
- Assets, liabilities and any regulatory issues.
I then discussed negotiating with angels and VCs, the term sheet and key financial and control terms, and then the documentation through to the closing the financing transaction. I concluded with a discussion of the post-funding relationship between company management and investors.
For presentation outline, see LINK: https://robadelson.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/robert-adelson-esq-6-21-08-tie-preparing-company-for-investment.pdf