Later this week, on Thursday, August 12 at 730am, I will serve as moderator for the meeting of 128 Innovation Capital Group, at the Foley Hoag Emerging Enterprise Center in Waltham, Massachusetts. Our speaker, whom I recruited, will be Matt Fates, Partner at Ascent Venture Partners. Matt will discuss the current investment outlook and what Matt sees as a “back to basics” approach of investors in what investors are looking for when looking at presentations and reviewing executive summaries. Matt’s current investments and current board seats include HubCast, StrikeIron, Terascala and The Corporate Marketplace. Ascent Venture Partners has been investing in early stage, emerging technology companies since 1985. In backing over 100 companies, Ascent has remained committed to its mission of investing in exceptional entrepreneurs striving to build innovative market leaders.
For more information or to register for this meeting, see http://www.128icg.org/
* * *
Besides this presentation, I remain active in the 128 Innovation Capital Group (128 ICG) (www.128icg.org). Now in its 6th year since, as a founder, I helped that group re-emerge from the 128 Venture Capital Group (founded in 1982), 128 ICG aids entrepreneurs, small and early stage companies, and people who invest or work in those companies. I’ve been a 128 ICG board member since 2004 and through July 2010 had moderated eight of the 19 meetings in 2009-2010, the last six of which were, as follows:
- Soaring Through the Cloud with Murat Bicer of Battery Ventures, July 8, 2010 where Murat was good enough to substitute for Sunil Dhaliwal, a partner at Battery Ventures. To view Murat’s fine slides, see http://www.128icg.org/Battery-Cloud.pdf
- The 3 Most Important Things Angels Look For, June 10, 2010, Chris Mirabile, Managing Director of Race Point Capital
- Plans that work and Those that Don’t, May 10, 2010, with Ryan Moore, General Partner at Grand Banks Capital
- Mobile Innovation in New England: Entrepreneurial Opportunities for the Future, April 8, 2010, with Sean Marsh, CoFounder and General Partner, Point Judith Capital. To view slides from Sean’s fine presentation, see http://www.128icg.org/sean_PtJudith.pdf
- Raising Money from Angel Investors, October 2009, with Chris Sheehan, Managing Director of Common Angels, as featured speaker **See http://www.128icg.org/091008.html (This link includes full video [about 60 minutes] of Chris’s fine presentation including my moderator questions to Chris on angel non-monetary support, needed customer traction, and the due diligence process that led Q & A after the presentation, also captured on the video.)
- New VC Model: Capital Efficiency and Building Companies in Today’s Economic Environment, August 2009, with Ankit Mahadevia, Atlas Venture, as featured speaker. **See http://www.128icg.org/090813.html (This link includes video [about 40 minutes] of my introduction and Ankit’s fine presentation, video by WCAC-TV Waltham.)
**PLEASE NOTE FOR THE VIDEOS: When you click on this link you are asked a question at the outset about MIME something or other, please click NO – if you do a “Q” will then appear and shortly thereafter the whole presentation will unfold. If, instead, you click Yes in response to the Mime question you might never get access to this presentation so please click NO.