This is an article I wrote published last Thursday, March 24, 2011, in the blog Bottom Line Coach, maintained by Martin Hershberger, the author of “Bottom Line Focus”, a no-nonsense approach to helping companies improve their profitability, their competitiveness and ultimately ability to thrive in an extremely competitive and ever changing business environment.
This article, Legal Issues in Consulting, Licensing, Subcontracting and Software Development, is intended to offer the consultant or entrepreneur tips on what you should be looking for in your contracts and what makes a good contract. Beyond general suggestions on contracting the article discusses the following:
- Terms to include in consulting agreements
- Contract and tax issues in structuring compensation
- Protections to include in contracts for the subcontractor relationship
- Terms to include in software development contracts
- How to negotiate VAR and distribution agreements
- Terms to include in licensing products and technology?
If you are an entrepreneur or consultant and contemplate or are engaged in negotiation of one of these contracts and you have questions or need assistance, please let me know.