How can Angel Investors help your company to succeed in Business – Sept. 12, 2013
Next month, on Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 730am, I will serve as moderator for the meeting of 128 Innovation Capital Group, at the IBM Conference Center, 404 Wyman Street, North Entrance in Waltham, Massachusetts. Our speakers, whom I recruited, will be three members of TiE Angels, including the managing director of this angel investor group and active investors in life sciences and internet/ mobile and software spaces.
TiE Angels is an angel investment group organized by TiE-Boston. TiE-Boston launched TiE Angels to provide entrepreneurs and start-ups with much needed seed capital and the support that they need to get to the next level. TiE Angels will invest in seed or Series A financing round of companies that have a strong value proposition, a sound business plan, and a strong team. The group has interest in a wide range of industries and applications, including Internet, mobility, software/infrastructure, bio-tech, clean-tech, finance, media/entertainment. TiE Angels expect to invest up to $500,000 in each transaction. However, the group may syndicate up to $2 million with other angel groups.
The topic of the September 12 meeting – How Angel investors can help your company succeed – is well suited to TiE Angels.
TiE Angels members are successful entrepreneurs in their areas of expertise and have both the desire and the capital to foster and support entrepreneurship in the New England area. The experience and mentoring ability these members bring to the table will be an invaluable asset to aspiring entrepreneurs that are looking to validate their ideas and build value.
Our three speakers are
- Pravin R. Chaturvedi, Ph.D., TiE Angels active investor who currently maintains multiple roles as the Chief Executive Officer of Boston-based IndUS Pharmaceuticals and Florida-based Oceanyx Pharmaceuticals. He is also the Chief Scientific Officer of San Francisco-based Napo Pharmaceuticals. He is a serial entrepreneur and has been the founder or co-founder of Oceanyx, IndUS and Scion Pharmaceuticals. Dr. Chaturvedi is or has previously served on the Boards of Scion, IndUS, Oceanyx, FuelEd, Sindu and TiE Boston. Over his 25+ year career, Dr. Chaturvedi has participated or led the discovery and/or development activities for several new chemical entities (NCEs), culminating in the successful development and commercialization of seven new drugs that are currently marketed by various companies. Prior to founding Oceanyx, IndUS and Scion Pharmaceuticals, Dr. Chaturvedi, spent several years at Vertex Pharmaceuticals as the Head of Lead Evaluation. Prior to Vertex, he was in the preclinical group at Alkermes and he started his R&D career in the Product Development group at Parke-Davis/Warner-Lambert Company (now Pfizer). Dr. Chaturvedi holds a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from West Virginia University and a Bachelor’s in Pharmacy from the University of Bombay.
- Praveen Tailam, the Managing Director of TiE Angels Boston, an early stage investment group of TiE Boston. Praveen manages the deal flow & screening, due diligence, investments & portfolio management as well as building strong partnerships with local angel groups, incubators, accelerators and entrepreneur clubs from local universities (MIT, Harvard, Suffolk, Babson etc).. Praveen is an investor, mentor, start-up advisor, entrepreneur and business plan competition judge. Prior experience includes Information Technology and Consulting. Praveen incorporated Redtail Consulting, a Boston area consulting firm and managed the business from 2006 thru 2012. Praveen was associated with companies in retail, banking and insurance sectors and catering to their IT infrastructure needs. Prior to being an entrepreneur his direct engagements were in managing and deploying enterprise messaging solutions at IBM, Putnam Investments, Wellpoint, Blue Cross Blue Shield etc,. Praveen has Masters in Information Systems from Northeastern University and Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering.
- Gaugarin Oliver, TiE Angels active investor who is currently VP – Global Head of PR Services, NASDAQ OMX. He joined NASDAQ as part of the $390 million acquisition of Thomson Reuters Corp’s investor relations, public relations and multimedia services units, and played a key role in the transaction. Prior to this, he was Global Head of Public Relations Services in Thomson Reuters and before that Chief Executive Officer of RedEgg Solutions, a company that offers hosted software solutions and research & development services. Prior to that he was Vice President of Channel Sales and part of the founding team of Mobixell Americas – a division of Mobixell Networks, an Israeli company that specializes in transcoding solutions for mobile multimedia. Previously Gaugarin was the Vice President of Business Development for Cymfony, Inc, a company that offers a service to automatically analyze and measure the effectiveness of public relations using Natural Language Processing techniques and industry metrics. During his tenure, Gaugarin grew the business from zero to over $5M in 24 months. Gaugarin also co-founded Lojalis, Inc which offers a patent pending loyalty platform for wireless carriers employing location based services. Gaugarin is a frequent speaker at industry forums and author of numerous articles. He holds a BE in Electronics and Communication Engineering, MS in Industrial Engineering and received executive education from Harvard Business School.
For more information or to register (later this month) for this meeting, go to http://www.128icg.org/
Hopefully, this topic and meeting will be helpful to entrepreneurs in small and early stage companies I represent.
* * *
I remain active at 128 ICG, a Waltham-based group that aids and provides a networking opportunity to entrepreneurs, small and early stage companies, and people who invest or work in those companies.
128 Innovation Capital Group (www.128icg.org), is now in its 9th year since, as a founder, I helped that group re-emerge from the 128 Venture Capital Group (founded in 1982). I’ve been a 128 ICG board member since 2004 and recruited speakers and moderated 19 of the 42 past meetings of 128 ICG in 2010-2013, including the following:
- Understanding the Rapidly Changing Ecosystem of Angel Investing in New England, July 11, 2013, with Jack Derby, Chairman, and John Landry, Investment Committee member of Common Angels.
- Do you have what it takes …To get Angel Investment? , April 11, 2013, with Richard Noyes, an active angel investor, member of Launchpad Venture Group and former member of Beacon Angels.
- Tough Love (on Valentine’s Day)– Getting the Entrepreneur to Focus on the Business rather than the Idea, Feb. 14, 2013, with Ben Littauer, an active angel investor, member of Boston Harbor Angels, Walnut Venture Associates, and Launchpad Venture Group.
- Will you be fired as CEO after taking Venture Capital funding? November 8, 2012, with Greg Dracon, Principal, .406 Ventures.
- Finding Your Optimal Investor – Due Diligence for Entrepreneurs, August 9, 2012, with Luke Burns, Partner at Ascent Venture Partners.
- Structuring your Financing for Capital Efficiency and Exit Strategy, April 12, 2012, with William McPhee, an investor with Boston Harbor Angels and Board member at The Capital Network.
- Alternative Funding Models for Clean Technology. February 9, 2012, with Eric Emmons, Investment Partner at Siemens Venture Capital and head of the Siemens Venture Capital’s Energy Fund.
- Management Team, Board of Directors, Advisory Board – How to Best Utilize Your Company’s Talent, August 11, 2011, with Jenny Freeman, M.D., member of Boston Harbor Angels.
- How Social Marketing Transformed the Gaming Sector: Social Gaming vs. Traditional Gaming, February 10, 2011, with Dayna Grayson, Principal at North Bridge Venture Partners.
- The 5 Things you MUST KNOW about Raising Angel Investment, October 14, 2010, with Hambleton Lord, Managing Partner of Launchpad Venture Group.
- Mobile Innovation in New England: Entrepreneurial Opportunities for the Future, April 8, 2010, with Sean Marsh, Cofounder and General Partner, Point Judith Capital.