Using Copyrights and Trade Secrets to Gain and Protect your Edge in Business
On May 13, 2009, I gave a presentation for the Medical Development Group (MDG), for its Business Matchmaking Event, on “Using Copyrights to Protect Your Software, Literary and Artistic Works.” The presentation included the definition of copyright, delineation of works protected and those not protected, securing and benefits of copyright registration, discussion of copyright infringement, defenses to infringement claim and remedies if infringement found.
For my slides for this presentation, available on my blog, go to LINK: https://robadelson.wordpress.com/2012/07/
Additionally, I wrote an article published in the June 5, 2009 issue of Boston Business Journal in its Intellectual Property focus section, on copyright and trade secret protection, “Determining which tool offers the best protection.” My article includes discussion of the following:
- Cost savings and advantages of copyright and trade secret protection for small and early stage businesses seeking to protect works and inventions;
- Copyright subject matter, duration and benefits and costs of Federal registration;
- Broad scope of trade secret protection and requirements to maintain that form of IP protection.
For more information on this BBJ article, LINK: http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2009/06/08/focus5.html
- Do you have important software, product or service literature, books, manuals you want to protect?
- Are there items you are putting out on your company, consultant or personal website that you worry might be copied by others that you want to protect?
- Do you have customer lists, financial information, marketing plans or the “secret sauce” of your protect in negotiations with alliance partners or with contractors or employees who might later compete with you?
If you do and have questions or need legal assistance on copyrights, trade secrets, trademarks or other intellectual property law protections, please let me know