“Putting the Investment Puzzle Together ” – Part of 128 ICG Investment Boot Camp, June 24, 2015
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 from 10:45 AM – 12:15 PM, I will serve on the panel on this subject at the Enterprise Center, at Salem State University, 121 Loring Ave, Salem, MAs, one of the three speakers, with Annette Reynolds, as moderator.
The panel on which I will serve and speak is part of the 128 Venture North “Entrepreneur Investment Boot Camp – A One-Day Event” that will run from 8 AM – 5 PM on June 24, at The Enterprise Center at Salem State University. The $75 registration fee includes lunch.
My subject and focus will be Business Structure and other Business Considerations.
The presentation will cover the following areas –
- Business Due Diligence – Business Plan, including Market and customers; Product and Service offering; Management team; Competition; Financials; Valuation
- Legal Due Diligence – Entity & Capital, including form of business entity; Corporate Records; Corporate Governance; Equity structure and Cap Table; Debt Structure
- Legal Due Diligence – IP and Other Assets, including Intellectual Property (IP) Rights & Protection; Company IP and Owner IP; Claims or potential claims against IP; Other Assets; Other Liabilities
- Legal Due Diligence – Employees & Contracts, including Recruitment, Retention, Incentives; Employee/Labor Due Diligence; Employment Claims against company; Commercial Contract Rights; Strategic Contracts
Here is a link to the outline of subject I will cover. https://robadelson.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/presentation_-6-24-15-128vn-preparing-company-for-investment.pdf
Registration is now open. For more information go to – http://www.128icg.org/
Hopefully, and this event will be helpful to entrepreneurs in small and early stage companies I represent.
* * *
I remain active at 128 ICG, a Waltham-based group that aids and provides a networking opportunity to entrepreneurs, small and early stage companies, and people who invest or work in those companies.
Earlier this year, I was on a panel for a 128 ICG webinar on Alternative Sources of Finance, where I spoke about means of financing your company when you can’t get a VC or angel to do so. I was also one of the three coaches on a panel called “Pitch-a-Palooza” to prepare founders and entrepreneurs with their pitches before investors. It was preparation for the upcoming pitch parties of 128 ICG that are called “Piranha Pond”. The Piranha Pond pitch parties are modeled after the TV show “Shark Tank” where entrepreneurs make their pitch to investors. At Piranha Pond, typically 8 startup companies pitch to a panel of 5 angel investors and one of more of those investors may offer a meeting with his or her angel group if the pitch is successful. For more information or to register for future piteh parties, go to http://www.piranhapond.com/
Also earlier in the year, 128 Innovation Capital Group (www.128icg.org) celebrated its 10th anniversary since, as a Co-founder, I helped that group re-emerge from the 128 Venture Capital Group (founded in 1982). I’ve been a 128 ICG board member since December 2004 and recruited speakers and moderated 42 of the 120 past meetings of 128 ICG from 2005 to 2014, including the following:
- “Overview of Angel Investing” , July 10, 2014, with Lydia Schroter, CEO, entrepreneur and active angel investor, and member of the Golden Seeds and Cherry Stone Angel networks.
- How can Angel Investors help your company to succeed in Business, Sept. 12, 2013, with Pravin R. Chaturvedi, Ph.D. and Gaugarin Oliver, TiE Angels active investors and Praveen Tailam, the Managing Director of TiE Angels Boston.
- Understanding the Rapidly Changing Ecosystem of Angel Investing in New England, July 11, 2013, with Jack Derby, Chairman, and John Landry, Investment Committee member of Common Angels.
- Tough Love (on Valentine’s Day)– Getting the Entrepreneur to Focus on the Business rather than the Idea, 14, 2013, with Ben Littauer, an active angel investor, member of Boston Harbor Angels, Walnut Venture Associates, and Launchpad Venture Group.
- Will you be fired as CEO after taking Venture Capital funding? November 8, 2012, with Greg Dracon, Principal, .406 Ventures.
- Finding Your Optimal Investor – Due Diligence for Entrepreneurs, August 9, 2012, with Luke Burns, Partner at Ascent Venture Partners.
- Alternative Funding Models for Clean Technology. February 9, 2012, with Eric Emmons, Investment Partner at Siemens Venture Capital and head of the Siemens Venture Capital’s Energy Fund.
- Management Team, Board of Directors, Advisory Board – How to Best Utilize Your Company’s Talent, August 11, 2011, with Jenny Freeman, M.D., member of Boston Harbor Angels.
- How Social Marketing Transformed the Gaming Sector: Social Gaming vs. Traditional Gaming, February 10, 2011, with Dayna Grayson, Principal at North Bridge Venture Partners.
- The 5 Things you MUST KNOW about Raising Angel Investment, October 14, 2010, with Hambleton Lord, Managing Partner of Launchpad Venture Group.
- Mobile Innovation in New England: Entrepreneurial Opportunities for the Future, April 8, 2010, with Sean Marsh, Cofounder and General Partner, Point Judith Capital.