Alternative Funding Models for Cleantech
Later in the week, on Thursday, February 9 at 7:30am, I will serve as moderator for the meeting of 128 Innovation Capital Group (128 ICG), at the IBM Conference Center, 404 Wyman Street, North Entrance in Waltham, Massachusetts. Our speaker, whom I recruited, will be Eric Emmons, Investment Partner at Siemens Venture Capital, and head of the Siemens Venture Capital’s Energy Fund with his focus on investments in energy, materials, and industrial technologies. The goal of Siemens Venture Capital is to identify and finance young companies worldwide during their start-up phase and to provide established companies with additional capital to support their growth plans.
The topic for the meeting is Alternative Funding Models for Clean Technology.
Eric Emmons’ current and past board involvement includes Managesoft, Powerit, Porogen, Bandgap Engineering, and Protonex (PTX.L). Before joining Siemens Venture Capital, Eric was a partner at the Massachusetts Green Energy Fund, where he led many of its investments in power generation, energy efficiency, and new materials. He also worked with Commons Capital, a Boston area venture capital firm which invests in energy, medical, and technology companies. Eric was on the founding team of Enmed, Inc., which developed clinical trial management software for the biopharmaceutical and medical device industries, and managed strategic planning for EPIX Medical, Inc., (Nasdaq: EPIX) a public biotechnology firm in Cambridge, MA. He holds an MBA from Harvard Business School and a Bachelors degree from Princeton University.
For more information or to register for this meeting, go to http://www.128icg.org/
Hopefully, this topic and meeting will be helpful to entrepreneurs in small and early stage companies I represent.
* * *
I remain active at 128 ICG, a Waltham-based group that aids and provides a networking opportunity to entrepreneurs, small and early stage companies, and people who invest or work in those companies.
128 Innovation Capital Group (www.128icg.org), is now in its 8th year since, as a founder, I helped that group re-emerge from the 128 Venture Capital Group (founded in 1982). I’ve been a 128 ICG board member since 2004 and recruited speakers and moderated eleven of the twenty-four meetings of 128 ICG in 2010-2011, including the following:
- What’s Your Company’s Value Proposition? How Are You Viewed by Investors, Customers and Employees? October 13, 2011, with Jack Derby, member of Common Angels.
- Management Team, Board of Directors, Advisory Board – How to Best Utilize Your Company’s Talent, August 11, 2011, with Jenny Freeman, M.D., member of Boston Harbor Angels.
- Clean Energy Investments: How they are the same and how they differ from other investments, April 14, 2011, with Dennis R. Costello, Managing Partner of Braemar Energy Ventures.
- How Social Marketing Transformed the Gaming Sector: Social Gaming vs. Traditional Gaming, February 10, 2011, with Dayna Grayson, Principal at North Bridge Venture Partners.
- Habits of Highly Effective Management Teams, November 11, 2010, with Elliot Katzman, General Partner of Commonwealth Capital Ventures.
- The 5 Things you MUST KNOW about Raising Angel Investment, October 14, 2010, with Hambleton Lord, Managing Partner of Launchpad Venture Group.
- Mobile Innovation in New England: Entrepreneurial Opportunities for the Future, April 8, 2010, with Sean Marsh, CoFounder and General Partner, Point Judith Capital.